Become part of North America's largest certification program for retail renewable energy products
Retail sellers of renewable energy can apply for Green-e Energy certification of their products, including:
- Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) products available to residential, commercial, and wholesale customers. This category also includes a broker certification for transactions between renewable energy generators and end-use customers. Certification is also available to Green-e Energy Federal Option products offered by existing participants to U.S. government agency clients purchasing renewable energy to meet Executive Order 13693.
- Utility Green Pricing Programs offered to residential and commercial customers in regulated markets or by monopoly utilities.
- Competitive Electricity Products offered by competitive electric service providers and municipal and community power programs in competitive markets. This certification is also for renewable electricity products sold to wholesale customers by sellers other than electric service providers.
- Community Choice Aggregation (or Municipal Choice ) Programs administered by a community that is contracting for its own power, often with the goal of saving money on electricity bills or increasing the renewable mix.
- Direct Purchases of renewable energy by a company, including power purchase agreements, onsite generation, carbon offset projects, and other bilateral agreements.
To apply for Green-e Energy certification, applicants must complete the following requirements. All program documents are available at Green-e Energy documents.
- Review the Green-e Energy National Standard, Certification and Logo Use Agreement, and other governing documents.
- Complete Program Application. This involves completing the appropriate sections of the Certification and Logo Use Agreement and appendices for your certification category (generally Appendices A–D).
- Green-e Energy Certification Fees. Green-e Energy fees are assessed on a calendar year schedule. See Green-e Energy Fees for a more detailed description of base and volumetric fees.
Verification Process Audit and Marketing Compliance Review
Participants with Green-e Energy certified products agree to undergo two annual processes: an annual Verification Process Audit, and a twice-annual Marketing Compliance Review.
Verification Process Audit
The annual Verification Process Audit is required of all participants, and ensures the correct quantity and type of renewable energy were procured and retired to meet sales. As part of the audit, participants must complete an annual third-party verification audit of their renewable energy procurements and sales. It is required of all retail and wholesale participants. Audit requirements are detailed in the Green-e Energy Code of Conduct, available on Green-e Energy Documents, along with forms, and a list of auditors that have completed Green-e audits. Participants submit data through the Green-e Participant Portal. Auditors submit material separately through the Green-e Auditor Portal.
Marketing Compliance Review
The twice-yearly Marketing Compliance Review (MCR) is conducted by Green-e Energy staff, and ensures that participants are abiding by program rules, especially those outlined in the Green-e Energy Code of Conduct. During this review, Green-e staff ensures that participants are not making false or misleading statements about their product and that they have made pricing, power, and contract disclosure to customers in a standardized format. This review occurs in Spring and Fall.
If you have any questions, or to submit an application, please contact us. You can find the appropriate Green-e representative for your territory at Green-e Staff.