Biomethane, also known as renewable natural gas (RNG), is increasingly becoming a solution for commercial and residential customers who want an effective way to use fuels with lower lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions, and offers a pathway to accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy.
Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) has created a new Green-e® standard and certification program for biomethane products and associated environmental attributes. The Green-e® Renewable Fuels Standard (“Standard”) is available for download, with other program documents and details coming soon. Please subscribe below to be notified as the program develops and certification becomes available.
Goal of the Standard
The goal of the Standard is to accelerate the adoption of biomethane, while ensuring that the gas is from sustainable renewable resources, meets the highest environmental standards, and that customers are protected in their purchase and ability to make verifiable usage claims.
Standard Development Process
CRS convened a Working Group and an Advisory Group to provide environmental, technical, and market input prior to the opening of the first public stakeholder consultation on the new proposed Standard. The Advisory Group was comprised of environmental nonprofit organizations, Green-e® Governance Board members, academic experts, and industry stakeholders. Relevant dates for the now complete standard-development process, including public comment periods, are also listed at Green-e® Standard Setting.
Development Timeline Overview
The Standard was developed over a period of almost 2 years and spanned three open stakeholder comment periods:
- Terms of Reference developed: Fall 2019
- First 60-Day Stakeholder Comment Period: Spring 2020.
- Internal review of comments and follow-up with commenters as needed, discussion with advisory committees and Green-e® Governance Board
- Updated draft of the Green-e® Standard created based on stakeholder and Board feedback and Second 60-Day Stakeholder Comment Period: Fall 2020
- Review of comments and follow-up with stakeholders as needed, discussion with advisory committees and Green-e® Governance Board: Third Stakeholder Comment Period, 30 days: Spring 2021
- Final Green-e® Renewable Fuels Standard created and published: September 2021
To be included in email notifications regarding further process developments and certification availability, Subscribe Here.
You may also contact Green-e® program staff by email at email@example.com or by calling 415-561-2100.