Renewable natural gas (RNG) is increasingly becoming a solution for commercial and residential customers who want an effective way to address the greenhouse gas impacts of their natural gas use, and offers a pathway to accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy.
Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) has embarked upon a process to create a new Green-e® standard and certification program for renewable gas products and associated environmental attributes. Publication is expected in mid-2020. In the future, CRS will consider expansion of the program to address other renewable fuels and renewable thermal energy products.
The goal of the Standard is to accelerate the adoption of RNG, while ensuring that the gas is from sustainable renewable resources, meets the highest environmental standards, and that customers are protected in their purchase and ability to make verifiable usage claims.
CRS has convened a Working Group and an Advisory Group to provide environmental, technical, and market input prior to the opening of public stakeholder consultation on the new proposed Standard. The Advisory Group is comprised of environmental nonprofit organizations, Green-e® Governance Board members, academic experts, and industry stakeholders. Relevant dates for the standard-development process, including public comment periods, are also listed at Green-e® Standard Setting.
All timelines are estimates only. Refer to Green-e® Standard Setting for updated schedule. The Standard-development process and timeline may change based on stakeholder feedback and refinements to technical criteria.
- First 60-Day Stakeholder Comment Period: Fall 2019. All stakeholders are welcome to comment
- Internal review of comments and follow-up with stakeholders as needed, discussion with advisors and Green-e® Governance Board: 2–4 months following
- Updated draft of the Green-e® Standard created based on stakeholder and Board feedback and Second 60-Day Stakeholder Comment Period: Winter 2019/2020
- Review of comments and follow-up with stakeholders as needed, discussion with advisors and vote by Green-e® Governance Board: 2–4 months following
- Final Green-e® Standard created and published: Summer 2020
To be included in email notifications regarding the Standard development process, Subscribe Here.
For more information about the Green-e® Renewable Fuels and Thermal Energy Standard and certification, contact us at email@example.com or call 415-561-2100.