Biomethane, also known as renewable natural gas (RNG), is increasingly becoming a solution for commercial and residential customers who want an effective way to address the greenhouse gas impacts of their natural gas use, and offers a pathway to accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy.
Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) is creating a new Green-e® standard and certification program for biomethane products and associated environmental attributes. Publication is expected by Summer 2021. In the future, CRS will consider expansion of the program to address other renewable fuels and renewable thermal energy products.
We accepted comments on the draft Green-e® Renewable Fuels Standard for Canada and the United States during the Third Comment Period that ended May 31, 2021. This comment period was seeking feedback on how to responsibly address Animal Waste and Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). You can review the PDF of all survey questions.
- Third Stakeholder Comment Period Open for Green-e Renewable Fuels Standard Announcement (April 30, 2021)
- Overview of the Green-e® Renewable Fuels Second Stakeholder Comment Period Webinar (October 8, 2020)
Goal of the Standard
The goal of the Standard is to accelerate the adoption of biomethane, while ensuring that the gas is from sustainable renewable resources, meets the highest environmental standards, and that customers are protected in their purchase and ability to make verifiable usage claims.
CRS has convened a Working Group and an Advisory Group to provide environmental, technical, and market input prior to the opening of public stakeholder consultation on the new proposed Standard. The Advisory Group is comprised of environmental nonprofit organizations, Green-e® Governance Board members, academic experts, and industry stakeholders. Relevant dates for the standard-development process, including public comment periods, are also listed at Green-e® Standard Setting.
All timelines are estimates only. Refer to Green-e® Standard Setting for updated schedule. The Standard-development process and timeline may change based on stakeholder feedback and refinements to technical criteria.
- First 60-Day Stakeholder Comment Period: Spring 2020. All stakeholders were welcome to comment
- Internal review of comments and follow-up with stakeholders as needed, discussion with advisors and Green-e® Governance Board: 2–4 months following
- Updated draft of the Green-e® Standard created based on stakeholder and Board feedback and Second 60-Day Stakeholder Comment Period: Fall 2020
- Review of comments and follow-up with stakeholders as needed, discussion with advisors and vote by Green-e® Governance Board: 2–4 months following
- Third Stakeholder Comment Period, 30 days: Spring 2021
- Final Green-e® Standard created and published: Summer 2021
To be included in email notifications regarding the Standard development process, Subscribe Here.
For more information about the Green-e® Renewable Fuels and Thermal Energy Standard and certification, contact us at email@example.com or call 415-561-2100.