2021 Green-e® Verification Report (2020 Data)
Over 30% increase in certified MWh over previous year—with gains in solar, and pandemic-related spending shifts
Center for Resource Solutions today released the 2021 Green-e® Verification Report (2020 Data), an annual report that aggregates year-end reporting data from participants in the three Green-e® programs—Green-e® Climate, Green-e® Energy, and Green-e® Marketplace. This year's report, which is compiled from data gathered during the 2020 reporting year, highlights significant market trends, including:
- 90 million retail megawatt-hours (MWh) reported from Green-e Energy participants, an increase of over 30% from the previous year.
- 1.4 million retail purchasers of Green-e® certified renewable energy, including over 104,000 businesses. This was a 9% drop over 2019 despite the increase in consumption, as the pandemic saw many businesses close.
- Newer renewable generation is continuing to drive the market, with almost half of the energy supplying certified products from facilities less than 5 years old.
- Renewable sales were mostly to costal states, with the majority of supply from the Midwest and Texas.
- Solar growth continued exponentially in 2020, with over 6.6 million MWh from solar in 2020, a 7% increase.